PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 24th Jun 2009, 07:59
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think SP's last post has revealed BASSA's delusional thinking.

Savings from cabin crew contracts will make no difference to whether BA survives or not.
This is not just about short term savings. The cost implications of the change in CC contracts is, indeed, for the short term. The long term view however is for the status of BA as an investment opportunity thus leading to the generation of funds that will enable fleet rotation, route exploration and product enhancement.

The word in the city is that BA is an investment opportunity IF, and it is a very big IF it can rid itself of the militant, unionistic shackles that have caused it so much grief in the past. The fight that is brewing is for the future plans of BA whilst achieving the required short term savings at the same time. The company simply cannot have unions issuing strike ballots for a tick list of 12 different things and then causing £100 million of disruption the company could just about afford it then but what about the future? It is high time we rid BA of unions that disagree with everything the company says at the drop of a hat, negotiation is fine but when have BASSA ever negotiated? It has always been BASSA imposition. Now the boot is on the companies foot and suddenly BASSA don't like or accept imposition.

Trust me WW will not let this opportunity slip. You claim he is ineffective, I would beg to differ, I think he is playing a very high stakes game and I think as we move to the end game, he will win. He will have a contingency plan in place. I think also that the city is waiting for the result as well and have alot of faith in WW. If it goes the right way for BA and we have a less militant workforce on fixed contracts with industry standard salaries then the investment will come. BA has always been a profitable concern hence an investment opportunity, albeit a long term one. If not then I think we will be tipped over the edge to the Abyss.

As for the managers? If you were to bother to look at management contracts around London you will find that they are all roughly the same. They are performance based contracts leading to a slightly lower basic pay for the position with performance related bonuses. Work hard, do well for the company and you are rewarded. Don't do well and the contract goes. High stakes for high pay. I don't begrudge the managers their contracts, I have been in a similar position (not for the airlines) in the past and I hated it. Lots of pressure and rubbish paperwork and deadlines. Believe me they earn their money in a pressure environment far divorced from the nice work environment we all enjoy on the aircraft.

They have agreed no bonuses for two years. That is their addition. In the future though they will return to their bonus driven contracts in line with the rest of their peer group.

Where do the CC stand within their peer group? Hmmm, somewhat above! Welcome to the short sharp economic correction followed by the long drawn out growth period.

6 days.