PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL feedback Q's (Merged x 4)
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2002, 16:13
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Even given all the arguments for them on this thread, I'm still not sure that question banks are a good thing.

Token Bird - rain ice triangles are definitely explained in my notes from Bristol. Which school are you with? I'd go back and check your notes - I'm sure you'll find them in there somewhere. I tried, a few times, to explain them to you, but discovered I couldn't do it properly without a diagram. Maybe someone else will be able to have a go at it.

As for the question about what to do if you enter a rain ice triangle, shouldn't you be able to work it out without having the answer spoon-fed to you in your notes? What would you do if you encountered another unexpected meteorological condition in flight? What if the CAA had never asked a question about this particular condition that you found yourself in, and therefore the answer had never been explicitly given in our ATPL notes? Surely, as wannabe pilots, we should be able to use our knowledge, apply it to any situation, and decide on the best course of action - either in an aeroplane, or in an exam?

Granted that some of the textbooks appear to give misleading answers in this case, and the exact answer may be a matter of opinion to some extent. But that's why the pass mark is 75%, and not 100%. Ok, so 100% is taking things too far, but if the questions were all clear cut, the pass mark should be around 90%. The extra slack that we're given is to allow for some of the more ambiguous questions. I certainly wouldn't be happy flying with a pilot who only knew 75% of the syllabus... but we all know that it's possible to know much more than 75% of the syllabus and still not pass, if you're not able to figure out things which weren't explicity given in the syllabus. And I think that's right.

I know that this is extremely over-simplified, and I might change my mind once I've taken the exams myself in a couple of months time. But I've sat very few exams in my life where all the answers were completely clear-cut. And in the real world of practical aviation, this certainly isn't the case.

FFF
-------------