PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine quit late downwind at Bankstown 6/6/09
Old 24th Jun 2009, 02:58
The Green Goblin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quote:
a steep turn by my definition is exceeding 45)
It is defined by everybody else as exceeding 30 degrees.
And by the CASA definition in the day VFR syllabus 45-60

Although we call bank angle to the PF anything over 30 degrees which is where you may have got that from.

Quote:
The guy was not even stalled... he just had a high sink rate as he ran out of energy extending the glide.
Yeah... that's called a stall...
So when you hear "sink rate" in that lovely american accent, it really should be saying "stall" right?

You can have a high sink rate without being in a stalled condition, I'm sure you have been there many times before along with myself

Quote:
Yes a stall can drop a wing but not very violently in a clean nil flap situation, you would more than likely get a slight nose drop that is easily corrected by increasing AS
I'm not sure whether that is a complete misunderstanding of what a stall is, or just really bad technique... please explain how you correct a "nose drop" by increasing airspeed...
Power off stall recovery: "ease forward", "airspeed increasing", "raise the nose", passing the horizon "full power" and "regain lost height".

If you're in a glide and have the height, lowering the nose will of course suffice!

Back to the crew bus matey, you're holding up the skipper