PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine quit late downwind at Bankstown 6/6/09
Old 24th Jun 2009, 00:35
PlankBlender

Atlas, you're quoting me out of context, the comment about speaking up when one sees something pertaining to safety was a general one, note the earlier part of the sentence you quote saying 'if I worked with someone'.

However, I agree with you that the outcome here was certainly a good one, which is ultimately what matters for the pilot in question.

In how far said pilot's actions just before the sudden arrival on the deck contributed to that outcome is a different matter, however, and therein lies the merit of this discussion.

We're trying to learn from the events, dissect the video evidence and draw conclusions as to what happened and how it might have been possible to have better control over the outcome.

Would it have been preferable not to bank the aircraft steeply close to the ground, not to stall it, and fly it in a controlled manner to the ground? I certainly think so.

Was the pilot extraordinarily lucky that the stall happened exactly where it did and the wing and nose drops planted the wheels on the ground when and where they did? Again, I am convinced.

Does the video evidence suggest strongly that the aircraft was out of control for the last few seconds of its flight? Unless someone shows me convincingly that my analysis of the video is fundamentally flawed, I stand by that opinion.

And can we learn from this that it would have been vastly preferable not to enter said steep bank and just fly it level to the slowest safe speed, flare, and set it down on the level ground that was ahead of the aircraft before the bank (unless there's something ahead before the bank we've missed or cannot see in the video)? Again, I am totally convinced, and I haven't heard anything in this thread making a good case otherwise.

Don't get me wrong, I am not saying I would have been quicker in my thinking or would have made a better decision or better control inputs in those very short last few seconds of that flight, but I think that a few of those reading this thread, me certainly included, will take away something that just might come in handy should the fan noise ever stop on one of us!