PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Training and use of airborne weather radar
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 21:11
PEI_3721

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
falconer, I agree, and I’ll add to that – the low power digitally enhanced systems, with fancy displays and modes, do little more than the old systems did except they don’t do it as well.
The modern WXRs will detect the core of a Cb much the same as the old systems, but they do little if anything to provide information about the other hazards – ice, turbulence, and lightning. We have always avoided the core of Cbs; it’s the other hazards associated with Cbs which appear to be causing recent problems – together with modern ‘delicate’ systems.

New WXRs (and some teaching / sales literature) have given many of to-day’s crews a false sense of security such that they believe that they can ‘cut the corner’ - fly closer to the storm because it is more clearly defined. The problem is that the clearer definition is at the expense of deleting (suppressing) information, whereas with appropriate guidance from training and experience, the older systems provided much better information. My training on the older systems provided basic knowledge; in-service use with help from senior pilots provided knowhow.

Another aspect is the pressure of modern operation. Although few crews admit it, and many more fail to realise, current commercial pressures do filter through to operations – even subconsciously. Add to that, the ever increasing constraints in the airspace and operating rules, then most human willpower to fly safely can be pushed to the limit – it was OK last time so we can do it again.
Much of the above is reflected in conversations – the older style “should we be doing this”, whereas the modern digital enhanced approach is “how can we do this”.
Technology does not replace airmanship: - airmanship is the difference between ‘should’ and ‘how’, and some aspects of this can and should be taught