PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - is it sensible?
Thread: is it sensible?
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 20:50
TheBeak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
doing a degree would certainly help with regards to getting a job
What sort of job? It really doesn't help at all in terms of becoming a pilot. Not unless you have a PhD in Maths or something which is just impressive.

After gaining a commercial licence and not finding a job ( of course being broke, not having any money to fly let alone pay for a TR ) would you consider studying for a degree (if you qualify for student loans ) as a future backup or save up for an FI Rating?
So you are saying that hypotheticaly you would get your CPL and then spend 3 years +, and £10K + of your time and money to get a degree so that you can get 'a better job' in order to pay for an FI rating. That's like going from London to Cornwall heading East. It is unecessary, pointless and long winded. Just work, gain experience, actually learn the world instead fo from a text book and you'll be better off. I have said it before and I'll say it again, if you want to be a pilot, be a pilot. If you want to be an accountant or engineer or lawyer or whatever a degree in something wishy washy like 'business' gives you then go and do that. WHat ever you do, do it 100% and don't look back. If I were you? I'd work for the next 2 years and THEN go and train. Job done.