PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 13:33
wobble2plank

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not surprising after BALPA intelligently negotiated away the flight crew's allowance package and found an elegant solution in the hourly rate.
Priceless!

So, what you are now saying is that BALPA messed up by getting rid of the allowance system that is now causing BASSA so much pain. As a result we have now, in this cost cutting exercise, got a 'sweetheart' deal?

You cannot have it both ways SP. You whinge a few posts ago about how unfair it all is that Pilots have 'got off lightly' and then go on to say that it was stupid for the pilots to give away allowances? This is typical BASSA rhetoric.

The two go hand in hand. Flight Crew, along with many other departments have adjusted to the current economic situation by using the measures you discussed. There is no need to 'trump' about hourly rate as it doesn't affect us any more. No one is bothered about what destinations we go to, what 'sweetie' payments we receive. What I can tell you is that, within a few pounds, I know from my roster what I am going to get paid. Foul weather, disruption or not.

The only reason BASSA are having so much trouble now is that they have inadequately planned for the future of their membership in the past. Instead holding on to the past, seniority based block payments which now so disadvantage the junior crew. Bid to specific destinations? Not a chance, every member of the crew is BA + 25 years, 'won't get on that one luv, senior trip!'. Rubbish.

There is no 'jealousy or envy', to be honest I look back at the ridiculous position you have put yourselves in and laugh! Trust me, you don't earn anywhere near my what hourly rate nets me. Unfortunately it isn't that funny when I see it impacting on the customers, the ones who really pay your wages and there are a small fraction within the CC community who will do anything to inconvenience them.

I do, indeed, wait with baited breath for the next missive to be decreed from fortress BASSA! I really, really hope that it doesn't affect the junior, hard working CC more than the ivory tower senior ones who have had their time!