PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - British Grand Prix, Silverstone heliport photos 2009/2010
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 11:04
heliboy999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As you can see from my photo's I was on hand to witness almost all of the approaches and I can say that they were all flown with skill and "Commercial" attitude. Seeing pilots jugde the speeds of the helicopters in front of them and adjust their own approaches to compensate all the way up the line was a sight to behold. Some could even havebeen classed as Formation approaches! When PAX are aboard we have to ensure smooth approach and safety safety safety! Once the PAX have gone the aircraft is yours again and a few minutes to enjoy that feeling of being a pilot once again. I am sure that a few seconds of fast accelaration and a more nose down attitude than usual is less of a risk than say, 60 minutes longlining over a forest somewhere in the backwoods.
This event shows the true skill of the pilots, after all the training and the regulation, they, with the help of the wonderful ground controllers manage to fly a difficult and sometimes rapidly changing approach without out the help of radar. The pilots use there own common sense and decisions with the help of some very simple well thought out rules to produce an amazing spectacle that is Silverstone GP.
Its just a shame that the Men in the yellow coats with little blue badges are always on hand to try and "catch" pilots who might have a faded boarding card or something else just as petty. They will not be hapy until all helicopter commercial flights are a thing of the past.
Well done all for a spectacular day.