PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 10:06
JayPee28bpr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TOTAL dispute

I just want to correct some misconceptions about the above which some posters appear to think has relevance to BA's ongoing negotaitions with staff. I think the two are very different. The Lindsay dispute is an example of what can happen where there are multiple employers involved, all acting independently, whereas the workforce thinks they ought to be acting in a more collective or collegiate manner.

A key point in the dispute at Lindsay is that TOTAL is not the employer, but is probably the party that is suffering most. TOTAL is a client of a company called "Jacobs", which it has engaged as main contractor to build an extension to the refinery. In turn "Jacobs" has sub-contracted work to a total of nine other firms, one of which is called "Shaw". The dispute started when "Shaw" made 51 people redundant at a time when some of the other sub-contractors were hiring. The redundant workers were apparently not able/allowed to apply for jobs being created by the other sub-contractors. Staff from all (I think) the nine sub-contractors went on unofficial strike. "Shaw" and some other firms sacked the strikers, but not all nine sub-contractors have sacked their workers.

Hence the reason why the TOTAL HR person was looking for a speedy resolution is that the dispute is holding up work on their project, but they don't actually have any direct link to the dispute. It's costing TOTAL a fortune (completion is behind schedule and over budget), and TOTAL desperately needs this up-and-running to boost refining capacity.

My understanding of what's happening at BA is that, firstly, all CC are directly employed by the company and hence there is only one employer. Secondly, although part of WW's plan is to put together a "New Fleet" with more flexible working conditions, all existing BA CC are entitled to move to that fleet if they wish. Thirdly, WW wants to standardise CC T&Cs generally, from the current position of multiple (and very different) terms depending on whether CC are SH or LH, LHR or LGW. So I don't think the Lindsay dispute offers much of an example whether you are for or against WW on this one.