PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 09:41
plodding along

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A DOM (Duty Ops Manager) told me the other day they have had a big increase in the number of bunk lights unservicable due tripped circuit breakers, that is why they now have to get the engineers to verify a genuine fault before they dish out the huge discomfort payments.

I still find it amazing that crew couldn't possibly sleep with eyeshades on when pilots taking first rest on a non bunked aircraft have to try and sleep in a club cabin with lights on and the full service being done to a passenger in the seat next to them. (Lets not even discuss what charter pilots and cc do!!!)

Probably BASSA argued that cc have a much more safety critical job.

Remember that the person looking after wheelchairs is now assigned to a working position because it was found that all 15 crew were staying behind and then popping up to the DOM's to claim their next box payment/ overtime/ extended rest.

Act like children, get treated like children, what else do you expect?

Anyway back to the topic, airline in trouble, can't cut fuel costs, can't cut ATC charges or maintenance etc etc, whats left? Yup employee costs.

BA crew cost double the nearest competitor, with an £800 million budget you could thus save £400million and that would put the company on a break even from cc alone.

CC got off lightly really with only a 14% cut and not 50%, the proposal even keeps pay as it is and just reduces crewing levels and saves in the future with a new contract.

Could have been much, much worse but no, cc don't save, they don't work harder, they don't reduce terms and conditions, never have and never will without a fight.

So once again we will have a fight. (Lets remember the last strike was about removing 1 crew member and tackling excessive sickness rates, let alone removing several crew and introducing a new fleet)

There are lots of superbly written posts here, alas all wasted, you can't reason with people like SP, they live on their planet, we live on ours, unfortunately when they destroy theirs ours will go with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if Willie caves in the end, it's happened every time before, this may be different but I'll believe it when I see it.

It could all end in tears but don't be surprised if BASSA the great triumphs again, they do run this airline, they will be a hard nut to crack, cracked they should be but at what cost?

A worrying time for us all. In fact God help us really.

P.S. another great post wobble, will it turn the tide? Sadly, of course not.

Last edited by plodding along; 23rd Jun 2009 at 09:57.