PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Captain dismissed for promoting unions
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 09:03
DFC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is this talk of "protecting your rights".

Worker's rights are covered by both the law and in Ireland a constitution that can be picked up and read by anyone.

Everything else is simply down to negotiation and agreement.

I love the comment;

something is wrong when Toronto garbage collectors make more than some commercial pilots
What is wrong with that? Who are you to say that you deserve more than another human being?

If the case is that being a garbage collector is more profitable then flying a B737 then become a garbage collector.

When I joined the profession, pilots were not considered to be "workers"
Now that is perhaps the crux of the problem.

Some people think that just because they are a pilot that they are somehow superior to the garbage collector - regardless of age, experience and qualifications.

Besides being a very arogant attitude, people have lost sight of reality.

Perhaps the garbage collector has the brains to do a job that provides the better income than flying a jet. There is no impediment to you applying for the better paid job also.

Get a reality check - Ask yourself, does the airline exist to provide you with a well paid job? or are you simply someone that the airline employs to do a job so that it can make a profit?

People reading the "vote now, ask what we will do later" should take some time to read the rules. While it is hard to get a union recognised, having that recognition taken away is a much harder thing to acheive.

-----------

And he could have fooled me too!!
Hey Boy,

You are easily fooled. I was a union rep for a number of years. I know exactly what happens when you come along with a complaint and how or if that complaint is pushed and how the outcome is always a compromise between collective objectives ( the greather good) and your personal situation.

Even you as an individual are not going to bang the table very hard with MOL about say water being avaiable in-flight if it will have an adverse effect of your pay negotiations.

The only thing that the Union will 100% back you up on is the basic rights that are laid down in law but you don't need a union to tell you those are your entitlements - you can read it for yourself.

So as I said - Not anti-union. Simply a realist who would never vote for a political party who had no idea of what they were going to do if elected.

Regards,

DFC