PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 09:03
woodja51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks for info

To those who threw me the info on the copilots experience, thanks - perhaps lost in translation but I was not casting aspersions merely observing what seems to be a common trend in modern aviation.

That is, the lack of hands on time when it really matters. Be it SOPS and automation, modern aircraft being so good etc etc.

I see that I may have some followers in what I was trying to say albeit poorly.

In as much as when something goes wrong it sometimes is better to 'wind the aircraft clock' as the memory item/checklist....then action the event... ( ooops can't wind the Breitling any more .. all GPS updated.. but you get the idea.)

Sorry for a bit of thread drift , By the way, here at EK they have just increased the experience levels for command. But as some of the F/Os have pointed out it seems that in our case we can have cadet pilots get command status ahead of other chaps based purely on hours with the company - and that experience gained from the school of hard knocks be it G/A or military is soon to count for very little. Some are excellent pilots, no mistake but have not had the benefit of lots of hands on/sectors etc.

It is this perception of hours actually meaning something that is the root of some of the problems aviation faces.

To the uninitiated, having 10 000 hours must mean that you are twice as good as someone with 5000 hours.

Guess reading 'fate is the hunter 'gives a better sense of what experience really means?

A pilot doing the same thing for 10 000 hours is not the same as doing a different thing for an hour 10 000 times .. you get my point.

As far as inflight rest goes, (at least in EK )the captain is not allowed to rest in first class when there is a bunk - located in the aft of the aircraft too....( yes I know captains prerogative and all)

But if I think that the F/Os are not up to speed to do an Atlantic crossing at night, avoid weather etc, it is time to chuck it in.

Anyway, I hope that some light is shed on the cause ( maybe B/B's found?) as otherwise nothing will be learned from the loss of so much life.

W