PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expected Approach Times explained.
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 06:12
Funk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The 1 controller each side isn't quite correct if the sectors are manned properly there are two dedicated enroute/area arrivals sectors; East (Bubin) and West (Desdi).
UAE ('Emirates'... god forbid ) ACC now has a holding window function with drop down menus so that the controller or his/her planner (assisting controller) can easily select an EAT. For example if DB App wants 20Nm you simply add 4mins to the Desdi/Bubin time of the preceding aircraft (the hold menu contain original est as well as the drop down for the EAT) thereafter you add 4 min to each subsequent Est (sometimes a minute extra allowing for slow turners, pilots who can't tell time or our bad vectoring ).
There should be no excuse for not being provided an EAT unless it is due to runway closure for no visibility or an airport emergency. If the UAE hasn't given you one ask for it, as far as I am concerned and I instruct my trainees this, pilots are entitled to be told the expected/estimated length of any delay.
Yes it says EAT because one of our former glorious leaders mandated the use of the term in our local instruction manual rather than the more appropriate Onwards Clearance Time (OCT).

Ultimately as it has been said many times before dedicated flow control is needed for DXB and pretty soon AUH, but chaps we are in the ME and things don't happen as you would expect in the west.