PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine quit late downwind at Bankstown 6/6/09
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 05:25
PlankBlender

desmotronic, you really don't know your stalls:

sure it stalls in the flare at about 2 feet.
The stall is fully developed by the time the wing starts to drop (early parts of 1:22), at which time he's more than a wing span away from the ground, a helluva lot more than 2 feet!!

The aircraft would have begun to stall as soon as he put it into the, again, very dangerous low steep bank (1:21), and the stall horn -- which in the Warrior is on the left wing which happens to be the high wing here in the right hand turn, with the greater AoA and therefore closer to the stall -- would have been blaring for several seconds before the wing drop.

Said stall warning should be an immediate cue in the absence of power to counteract the impending stall. The pilot in this case obviously didn't heed that warning or tried and failed to be effective again sluggish controls so close to the stall. It actually seems the aircraft pretty much lands itself because the timing of the stall, roll, and nose drop just happen to fit the height over the ground when it all happens so kudos to the Piper engineers for designing such a resilient and docile airframe!

Also, where do you see a flare? He banks, it stalls/rolls/drops, he's on the ground. No flare whatsoever.

Admittedly, the pilot didn't have a whole lot of time to play with here, but this discussion surely shows that the dissection of a mishap can teach a lot of things, including aerodynamical basics and what to do (and what not to do) if you find yourselves in a pickle!

Again, as an ATPL with (potential) responsibility for the travelling public, I urge you to revisit some of the basics! I just hope you never have to try to remember how to recognise a stall or incipient spin or the relevant recovery in a hurry, it might end in

I'll settle when you tell me you won't take unsuspecting passengers or try to teach others to fly until you know your basics