PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Vulcan B.1 XH498 Wellington NZ
View Single Post
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 04:56
CV880

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was only a youngster at the time but recall it was quite windy that day (as Wellington Airport is famous for) and the RNZAF damaged a Sunderland flying boat the same day making a low pass up the runway when turbulence caused it to scrape its keel and it had to be beached immediately on "landing" to stop it from sinking. Years later I spent a few weeks working at Wellington Airport and it was interesting watching operations on a windy day. SAFE Bristol Freighters requiring lots of power on approach just to make the runway with full flap and stopping in a little more than their own length almost as soon as the throttles were closed. DC3's taxiing out for take off with the rudder gust lock in and the F/O or someone getting out and removing it before entering the runway. I watched a maintenance crew trying to taxy a DC3 to the NAC hangar which required a 90 degree turn across the wind. Revving the RH engine until the tail started to lift several times trying to get it to turn across the wind. Eventually shutdown and got a tug and towbar.