PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine quit late downwind at Bankstown 6/6/09
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 01:30
Cloud Basher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plankbender, Fair points, I'll now analyse what few facts we have!

Your analysis and explanation are spot on as far as I am concerned from what we can see.

You did mix up your lateral and longitudinal rolls and axies, (an aircraft rolls laterally around its longitudinal axis and it pitches longitudinally about its lateral axis) but I am just being a dick pointing this out!

You can see the stall begin just as the aircraft starts to roll. You can also notice the fully deflected stabilator from that point. Looking more and more at this now I can see where you guys are coming from and indeed the actual last part of the landing does look as though he was very lucky. The roll to wings level does appear to stop or at least the roll rate slow as the nose reaches its highest pitchup point and wings come level, but this probably has more to do with ground effect than any pilot inputs. We can see the stabilator but not the aileron position.

Yes I do agree with you guys he was lucky, and I also agree with ultralights (and know from my experience) that the field is the only real option there, so good job getting it to the airfield environement and lucky to end up on its undercarriage.

Plankbender, What you say about rolling wings level earlier and landing across the runway direction is a very good point. It is definitely a suitable flat area so in a similar situation a better decision may have been to land across the runway direction somewhat meaning, as you say, you have enough energy left to achieve a normal flare and touchdown, maintaining full control of the aircraft and not stalling it in those last 10 or so feet. Thus relying less on luck!

Ok so I will now hop back in my box, tail between legs and let everyone here go back to their regular viewing. And I'll try and stop getting all emotional when we start disecting aircraft incidents and accidents.

Cheers
CB