PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Senate hearing and NAS – interesting answers from CASA
Old 23rd Jun 2009, 00:46
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
Howabout, there is no inconsistency at all. You do not seem to understand risk management. The best way to ensure the safer system is to allocate our resources effectively. To over allocate resources where the risk is small means you have less money to spend where the risk is higher.

The fact that I want to upgrade some Class G airspace to Class E – especially in the terminal area where we have jet airline aircraft, mountains, and good radar coverage – is quite consistent with me wanting to change Class C above D to Class E. As I have said many times before, this is so the controller in the Class D airspace below can concentrate where the risk is highest. That is the only reason other countries have small amounts of airspace around their towers. That is where the risk is highest, and if you have a controller responsible for circuit traffic and keeping aircraft apart on the runway also being responsible for procedural separation of IFR and VFR aircraft over 20 miles away, it is obvious that safety will be reduced.

The amount of effort required to procedurally separate an IFR and a VFR aircraft in Class C is actually far greater than separating aircraft in the circuit area or on the runway. Remember, in these Class D towers, we often have just one controller. That controller needs to concentrate where the risk is highest. Do you understand that?