PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - $5,000 RFDS reward for Class E expert
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 23:13
Dick Smith

Received 69 Likes on 28 Posts
$5,000 reward – Class E expert

Ferris, do I have to explain it again? “Downgrading” (to use your word) Class C to Class E will improve safety because it will allow the Class D controller below to concentrate where the collision risk is greatest.

At the present time our Class C above Class D is quite often operated by one controller in the tower below. Must we wait until we have a more serious incident than the one at Hamilton Island, possibly turning into an accident? This was the one where the controller nearly put two jet airline aircraft together because of the high workload. Holding other aircraft outside the control zone was part of this.

I will say again to everyone. If you want to put Class C airspace in, put in proper manning and radar so it can be operated properly. The Class C airspace we have is a sham. If a VFR aircraft flew right across the top of Albury’s airspace at 7,500 feet, 20 miles from the aerodrome, no one would know the difference. That is, until a collision occurred.

Class C airspace requires radar – running it any other way is a con, purely to put profits in front of safety.

I can assure you that the US system has large amounts of Class E so controllers can concentrate where the collision risk is highest.

That is what VOR was getting at Ferris – i.e. more safety. Open up your mind, mate.