PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA and Project Columbus III
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 20:23
Chris_medley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're correct, it is an "entertaining thread". But I think thats not the major point of the topic haha.

Some of the opionions put forward (with no particular people mentioned) make me think I could get more sense out of a 10 year old having a tantrum.

That being said I think that I would feel exactly the same if i was in Stall Pusher's place. We all know that WW is trying to use the media and other ways to increase the support for cabin crew taking a pay cut, it makes sense for him to do that. That dosn't mean that its not needed though.

We are going through the hardest time in recent history in the aviation world. The loss of 400 million isn't fake, its real. Sure WW has emphasised things like "BA might go under" etc, but he's not just saying that to get the CC on side, he's saying it because he's trying to minimise the damage BA are going to take.

Stall Pusher, good luck to you. But you really need to face the fact that the premium market is basically dead at the moment. It may seem that loads are okay up there, but they are selling seats in F and J for a fraction of the price to how they were 1-2 years ago. I was once told by a finance manager that airlines could fly empty in coach, half empty in J and full in F and still break even. That was a while ago, but when your long haul planes are set up for a premium market, if you're having to sell the premium seats at a low low cost you're going to suffer big time.

It has long been said, in the GOOD days, that there is not a lot of money to be made out of running an airline. There isn't a big margain between cost and profit on any route. BA did really well in previous years with the 400 million profit, But it is going to be YEARS before the premium market picks up. Companies are downgrading their employees, and even economy passengers are either not travelling or swimming instead!

Stall Pusher, what you have to realise that your union isnt trying to protect you, its trying to protect itself. Both parties are fighting for power, and you lot are the pawns in the middle.