PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Student ppl Nervous
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 18:54
rd339

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Thank you all for your replies - they are most helpful.

I agree with most of what was stated - especially in regard to going through things in my head as if I were flying. I sometimes find myself doing just that when I'm quiet and relaxed in the chair some evenings. I also tell myself that I have done all this before and its good, but once back in the cockpit the old nerves reappear. Granted possibly not as much as the outset when even steep descents bothered me, but still there nontheless.

Some little apprehension is good as I hope it keeps me from becoming complacent, which I would view as being dangerous, but my problem is that I think unless I can fully overcome these feelings I'll not progress as a pilot - after all the idea of this is to enjoy things - doesn't happen too much at the minute.

My instructor(s) are indeed great - but are now practically all of the feeling that I must just go and do it - "no point me sitting there with you - you will only build confidence when you go on your own". And they are probably right. Obviously I have a few hours solo so I can indeed fly the plane - its the other things like emergencies, lots of traffic in the circuit, getting lost or for example coming in on the wrong side of the circuit when approaching after a cross-country or the like that stick in my head.

BF - appreciate your invitation for a chat - I may take you up on same over the weekend - I'm off to work now for 4 nights so wont probably be back online until the weekend - but if you're on at that point I'll send a PM your way. Thanks again.
In terms of your comment regarding adverse effects - this is exactly what bothers me - is these nerves effecting my performance or is it just good to keep me on my toes.

My instructor, after discussing these things with him assured me he would not be sending me up unless he thought I can do it, and that the only way to regain comfort is to go up and fly on my own - he has no doubt in my ability to fly - I wish I hust had his confidence!

Thanks again