PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SIA Cadet Pilot - All Batches, Merged
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 11:28
Edenspace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2nd round computerized testing experience (v long!!!)

Okay...I didn't make it through past the 2nd round of interviews.
I'm glad to have got the desire to fly professionally out of my system though

However I'd like to share with aspiring cadets the 2nd round computerized testing tests! They are not listed in order (sort of...fuzzy memory)

Events:

1) Count the contact points. Blocks (resembling thick text books) are stacked in a manner similar to library books with some horizontally stacked above a pile of vertically stacked "books".

Your task is to count the number of books in contact with the block marked X. This is a MCQ event. Keep track of the time though. Be sufficiently warmed up mentally to run the tasks

2) Scanner test

This tests your data processing ability, aka ability to scan thru data and locate the required parts. A long string of numbers with alphabets beneath or above each of the individual numbers is shown.

Read the instructions very very carefully. They may sound along the lines "Key in the number of the alphabet which corresponds to the 6 added to the number above the third occurence of the alphabet 'E' from right."

Etc. Tip: Read the instructions for each question quickly and carefully. Read again if not sure.

3) IQ test. IQ style tests similar to those in Mensa or facebook. Search for those online. Hint: Consider each element in the diagram by itself, eg, the dots, the triangles...etc. MCQ.

Also a test on number patterns, you may be asked to fill in the next number in a sequence of numbers, in the manner of Primary School Mathematics number series

4) Memory test. A string of numeric characters are flashed in front of you. You get some time to memorize the string before it goes off-screen and a 'garbage' screen (random stuff, sometimes even filled with the WRONG numbers or similar numbers) is flashed.

As the test progresses the memorizing time gets shorter, the string gets longer and the garbage screen may or may not have a longer display time.

You are then asked to key in the string. Tip: Don't look at the garbage screen.

5) Bouncing ball test. The screen will display up to 4 windows. In any window, a 'ball' (white dot) will appear and it could/should impact on a 'wall' (white line).

At impact, press the number on the keypad corresponding to the window in which it occurs. One or more balls may impact within a VERY short amount of time.

5a) Bouncing ball with 'disappearing' balls. You are to estimate the moment of impact while the balls disappear. Some balls may not impact the walls (walls moving too). So anticipate carefully.

Some candidates (ie, me) were given a 'retest' of this. I am unsure if it is indicative of ability.

6) Dexterousity test.

This requires use of the joystick. A white dot traces a path (path is visible) onscreen. Your task is to track the dot using joystick controls.

The controls are inverted. Occassionally the joystick will have a 'biased' direction and tend to veer off. I sucked at this.

7) "ATC" test. Read the instructions at the start VERY carefully. You may proceed backwards to re-read them.

However the test time includes time taken to read the instructions.
Your job is to route "aircraft" on ground and air to land or takeoff on runways. These are single runways (no L or R) and may show cross directions. Routes are shown by waypoints denoted by alphabets. Aircraft names and airspeeds are shown.

Here are some of the rules:

a) At no one point in time is any aircraft allowed to fly across the runway in use (Rwy in use is specified in each question)

b) Priorities: Top/Superceding Priority to 'Message' (special instructions for each question. Eg "Aircraft 61 to be given first priority to land"
Aircraft in air have higher priority than aircraft on ground
Between aircraft in air, higher priority to higher speed a/c.

8) Multi tasking test. A "mockup" of a cockpit is shown. It is 'simple' compared to an actual cockpit. The objective is to maintain the status quo.
A fuel gauge is shown. If it goes RED the spacebar must be pressed before any further input.

Inside the cockpit shows:
a) Altimeter. It is default set to 20 000 ft. Pressing '0' (zero) key decreases altitude. The ' . ' (del key or decimal key, next to zero key) increases altitude.

b) Airspeed. Set to 500kts. "+" Key increases '-' decreases.

c) Radar looking thing (not sure what it is). Press the diagonally opposite key to move the dot back in center. This uses keypad on RHS, 1 to 9. If white dot goes to '3' direction, press '7' to counter

d) Artificial horizon. The / and * keys control the AH. Press the opposite direction to counter changes.

e) Viewing windows. If a green object passes by through window, press the Function key (F1, F2, F3, F4) in which the object is in. For yellow objects it is F5 F6 F7 F8. Objects may pass from L -> R or R -> L.

One or more events in any of the 'meters' may change at the same time. Stay alert!

9) Navigation test. A gird is shown. You are asked to find the shortest or most plausible route to guide a specific a/c through waypoints to their destination. eg "What way should A/c 77 get to Point K?"
i) Turn left to bearing 135 range 20NM
ii) Turn right to bearing 45 range 14NM
...etc. You get it

10) "DDR". Fast feet fast thinking test. A 'final approach' screen is shown to you. The objective is to press the rudder pedals to take "corrective action" provided there are 3 horizontal bars shown. If the runway is on the right, depress left pedal. vice versa. There is VERY little time given for this test. I recommending you rest your foot on your heels and tap using the ball of your feet on the rudder pedals.

11) Personality Assessment. Questions asking you about how you feel about each statement ("Enter the statement which describes you the most")
i) I go all out to avoid conflict
ii) I must have my way at all costs

etc...

12) THere may be a repeat of Bouncing balls with the RED SCREEN variation. I may have flunked it originally the first time around! You are required to do bouncing ball test again. But a RED SCREEN will appear as background if you don't do well enough. The instructions urge you to improve perfomance after seeing a red screen.

Good luck!