PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - need pointing in the right direction
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 09:02
Cue Ball

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SPOON 36

I know exactly what you are feeling, I too did the varsity thing and only started flying professionally when I was 27. I got my degree but never practiced my profession. I knew all along I wanted to fly but my dad, who never had the oppurtunity to get a tertiary education, insisted I get one. I don't regret it for one minute as I made some lifelong friends and enjoyed myself to the max ( read partied hard). However eventually in my final year it all came to a head and I confessed to my dad that I really wanted to fly and not work behind a desk my whole life. He supported my decision and said that being happy in your job is of paramount importance irrespective of how much you get paid. He agreed to pay for my ppl and night rating( which I did during my final year) and then said I would have sort out the com myself. That was fair enough, he had funded 5 years of varsity and a ppl so at least I was on my way. I had to work in an offfice for 2 years( hated it) to pay for my com training but it was all worth it. I got my com and struggled to get my first job but I kept at it and today I have my dream job in an airline, it took me 7 years to get here but I have seen things and been places people would never dream of going ( mostly because no one would ever want to go there). However today I have mates who are partners in big firms making huge salaries but I can promise you this, very few if any of them look forward to going to work every day and they don't come close to enjoying and loving their jobs like I do. They often ask me don't you get bored and my reply is the same every time, absolutely not no day is ever the same and you get to see some awsome views at 35000ft, including sunrises at 5am which will take your breath away. So I hope those couple of months go fast and you can be on your way to the best job on the planet.
Good luck and never give up on your dreams.
CB