PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Captain dismissed for promoting unions
Old 22nd Jun 2009, 02:17
20driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
deja vu all over again

I have no dog in the fight but the dumping on Ryanair pilots sound a lot like the way the ALPA airline pilots used to dump all over Southwest pilots.
It was only 10 years ago when the American pilot rag was full of very similar posts describing Southwest pilots as spine less scabs etc etc.
( Totally ignoring Southwest pilots were unionized)
Meanwhile Southwest stuck to making money, something no a single ALPA Airline managed to do in the last decade, and strangely enough their pilots are now the best paid 737 jocks in the patch and they continue to grow.
Ryanair makes money, very few others do. They offer a package that people show up for. Punters love them and the safety record does not scare anyone away. What you expect them do , offer more than they need to!!!
If the deal is that bad pilots will leave and the offer gets better. Pilots are not some mythical Skygods, they are an expense to be minimized, like everything else in a consumer driven company that wants to make a profit and expand.
I have no inside on BALPA but the unions I do know off always protect the seniors on the inside and sell the non voting new guys short. Don't think so, check out the new hire pay at Air Canada. That was ACPA's work.
Good luck to all.
20driver -