PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Expected Approach Times explained.
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2009, 17:50
ferris

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
od, I hope TCAS IV makes ground based ATC and its politics redundant.
In much the same way that ATCs hope that CPDLC, computerisation etc will make airborne pilots redundant, I guess. With all due respect....

Dude, I think the thread is trying point out that the UAE ACC cannot provide EATs, as envisaged by ICAO when these terms were drafted. The great Dane's magnificent ATM plan (from Copenhagen circa 1976) never foresaw holding greater than 20/30 minutes. Even with unlimited amounts of co-ord between the ACC and DXB APP, the problem of knowing how long you will be flying before actually touching down cant be fixed with his system. The lack of co-ord/politics/whatever you are trying to say is the problem with ATC is nothing of the sort. It is PURELY AND SIMPLY the incompetence of the individual in charge- the great DANE. Although he isnt flying so high these days, he still has the locals bluffed into thinking he knows it all. He just doesn't have the experience or management skills to design an efficient system. He steadfastly refuses to copy the LHR system (close in holds- the bottom of which are controlled by approach), or take any advice on the matter. Until his masters realise that he is all bluff, bluster and BS, naught will change. If EK woke up to how much money he is costing them, he wouldn't just get fired....

Given the other thread about flying on fumes and relying on an accurate hold time- the poster (IMHO) was just trying to put things in perspective- especially if you are looking at decisions about committing when on vapour.