PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Ryanair Captain dismissed for promoting unions
Old 21st Jun 2009, 17:41
MrsRyan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The airline evryone loves to hate.

Apparently it was cabin crew who reported this guy. Noone wants to see anyone sacked. However I must say I flew with a (very) old school captain a while ago who was so busy shoving his union opinions down my throat that he did infact create a very bad atmosphere and was clearly not concentrating on the very important job he was being paid to do. But obviously, this guy shouldn't have been sacked (and it wasn't him btw!)
I've heard some opinions on my post that it's clearly not possible for me to be a real ryanair pilot as I have a tendancy to (god forbid) enjoy my job, and that it's "obviously my first job and (bless me) I'm sooooo naive." Well this isn't my first ailine job. 2 x charter airlines, 1 x longhaul carrier and a coorporate operator. And......I really don't mind Ryanair. It's not perfect. It could be alot better but it could be alot worse too. I live in the real world though and if I'd wanted to live the life of a millionaire playboy then I wouldn't have become a pilot. I'd've got a job in the city and worked all the hours god sends in a godforsaken office. So instead I chose to enjoy my life and do something I loved and be fairly paid for it.
This is not a good time for balpa. We have no real bargaining power as there's no other jobs on offer!! By the time they've got in and Ryanair have us over because of it, it'll take about 10 years to scrape back what we already had.
Anyway these posts talk about divide and conquer too.......other airlines are guilty of that too. BA have old and new contract. The new guys will never make anywhere near as much as their collegues in the left hand seat. Balpa protects the old boys and their final salary pensions. So think what you all like. But remember, the golden age of aviation ended about a decade ago.........for everyone. Just as well really or else none of us could even afford to go on holiday with our tickets funding the wallets of overpaid captains and their 3 ex wives.