PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Charles Lindbergh: Neil Armstrong:
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2002, 08:28
Prince of Dzun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lu Zuckerman:

Your postings are a pleasure to read and I would like to compliment you on your contributions to these boards. I read ( or someone told me) that the lunar module had only one ignition system and the fuel plumbing etc was not duplicated. If this is the case and there were no backups for the major components then either NASA had 100% faith in their engineering or it was a case of take a chance. Also it has always intrigued me and I could never understand how NASA knew the exact gravitational force of the moon , so that the thrust from the lunar module could be sufficient to achieve orbit. If the engine had of given say only 75% of its design thrust would this have been sufficient to do the job or was it a case of 100% or nothing.

I now have to attend to Check 6 who is proving difficult to convince. He is standing on the doorstep of the Neil Armstrong camp and I'm going to make another attempt to get him to step inside.

Check 6:

I agree with everything you say and there is no argument between us but in my humble opinion you do yourself a diservice by not having a positive opinion. Here is another short piece from " First on the Moon ". The words are those of NASA administrator Dr. T. Paine quote: " He wanted to see the three men once again. On July 10 he flew down to Cape Kennedy to have a private dinner with them. He wanted to tell them something: If you get into trouble up there, don't hesitate to abort. Come on home. Don't get killed. If you do have to abort, I promise you that this crew will be slipped ahead in the mission sequence. You will get another chance. Just don't get killed.." unquote. Now have you changed your mind ???

Prince of Dzun