PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF Aircraft Shot Down Over East Germany 1953
Old 21st Jun 2009, 15:40
RF531

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Uncle - Rf531, 1953

Hi All

I was amazed to find this story [history!] about flight RF531. I was aware of the of the incident because, sadly, my uncle was one of the unfortunate crew members. I did not, however, know the full details. In fact, I had always believed that he had been shot down during the Berlin Airlift, so I was surprised to learn that it took place several years afterwards. All I really knew was that he was very young, his rank, what his role on the aircraft had been and where he was buried (I prefer not to actually identify him here) but that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Alas, I never had chance to meet him since this incident took place a few years before my birth.

I would be very interested to hear from C-Charlie as to whether or not any further details of the flight were uncovered? Clearly, your father and my uncle would have known each other very well. My sincere condolences.

In the meantime, I'd like to say thank you to Polikarpov and others for posting the details of this tragic story.