PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADF aicrew - any news on Super reform?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2002, 07:35
w_ocker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Same problem with us on the Army side of things I'm afraid. While we are less likely to get anywhere with the airlines, and pay for comparitive helo jobs in civi street is generally way less than HRH pays us, our guys are still leaving in droves. The chance of spending the rest of your life bouncing between postings in Oakey, Townsville and Darwin, and the squeeze of ever increasing tasking vs an ever worsening manning situation is often enough for the guys to make the leap. A lot of them are leaving to non flying jobs (Lawn Mowing businesses etc etc).
Interestingly enough, I think the powers that be may be concerned that a roll-in of allowances may have a short-term detrimental effect on retension. All the olds and bolds (20 years plus I guess) on DFRDB only need one day at the new pay level to get the increased payout, as opposed to the three year average for MSBS (wonder which table jockey thought up that little jem?).

My feeling is, stay as long as I can keep doing interesting flying that provides Jo Taxpayer with a service, and when I feel the need to move on (soon, I fear) then do so with no bitterness to a system that I cant change anyway. Oh, and invest like crazy while I'm making the $$.