PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engine quit late downwind at Bankstown 6/6/09
Old 21st Jun 2009, 09:53
remoak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
you experts might have considered that you have no idea about the circumstances that lead to him ending up where he did.
Already admitted that, but let me ask you a question. Is it better to try and stretch it to get back to the airport, and arrive with only just enough energy left to stall it on to the ground - having been very fortunate to avoid cartwheeling and possibly a stall/spin; or would it be better to recognise that you couldn't get back to the airport safely and put it down somewhere less convenient?

Sully (Hudson River A320 guy) made a far better decision. The Bankstown guy was just very lucky.

It does concern me a little that we applaud such decision making as correct on the basis that "he walked away from it". Kinda reminds me of Evil Knievel...

Kinda makes me wonder about the level of instruction over there in the West Island too. Over here in Godzone, it is normally taught that if you aren't absolutely sure that you can comfortably make the field, you put it down somewhere else while you still have enough energy and control to land safely. This guy had already said that he didn't think he could make it back, if I heard the recording correctly, so you have to wonder why he continued.

Maybe one of the locals could shed some light on whether there are any possible alternative landing venues at Bankstown in this situation?