PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 21st Jun 2009, 02:42
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Except the attach points on the elevator are more evenly-spaced, while the aileron attach points are close together.

I can't judge the size because I don't know how large the elevator is compared to the aileron, at that point in either structure. An oxygen bottle is about a meter long and that's about how wide the flight control we're examining is.

I don't think it's flap, (because of the two attach points) but further photos are needed before we can determine origin.

I think it is important (especially with so little real evidence) because one outcome is "wing" and the other is "tail feathers".

regards,
PJ2
PJ2,

Having finally had a chance to look through Dorian's very complete album, there is another image that provides a different angle and much better sense of scale regarding this piece of wreckage.

dd5b67ca-ac0d-4440-ae29-e90158f179b.jpg picture by DorianBanks - Photobucket

It is clearly evident in this picture (as was not the case in the other two) that the piece is from one end of a flight control. There is also an object protruding outwards from the piece just below the gentleman's right hand. One can't be certain but it does look like it could be a hinge attachment fitting. If so, this would tend to validate your identification of the two slots and suggest very strongly that this is the outboard portion of an aileron.

If that is what it is then I would I think that it's highly probable that it's from the left wing as opposed to the right. My reasoning for this goes back to the grease mark. In my experience I have only seen such marks on the underside of the airplane (which, granted, is the portion I see far more of on walk arounds). A plausible explanation for this mark would be a small glob of grease falling from one of the slat tracks on the slat forward of the aileron. I'm no expert at how such a glob might move in the airflow but my semi-educated guess is that it is far more likely to strike the under side than the upper side of an aileron. So, if what we are seeing is the bottom of the aileron then the hinge points would be at the left extremity looking forwards and hence on the left wing.

I would also agree that the piece of wreckage besides the flight control is quite likely a portion of a canoe. I don't think that it is a forward portion where the RAT is stowed, however. The size and taper are more in agreement with the aft portion of an outboard canoe. Additionally, the "door" portion of the canoe that houses the RAT has a rounded as opposed to squared off appearance.

Knowing which sides of the aircraft that the canoe and aileron (if that's what they are) come from along with where they were picked up could provide significant information about the proximity of the major components at the time the aircraft hit the water. Unfortunately what we see is insufficient to draw a conclusion, but it's a fair bet that those on the scene do know and that these particular bits will help forward the investigation.

ELAC