PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 23:31
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Green-dot;

Re the damage pattern, yes exactly and that has been my point all along.

My thinking is, the only way in which a large, relatively fragile structure such as the galley that we see is for it to be ejected cleanly, without impediment or collision, from the interior of the cabin and for that to happen, the fuselage itself has to have already broken up at least in that area.

An uncontrolled impact with the water regardless of bank angle, would shatter/fragment most of the interior structure or at least leave substantial tell-tale marks or damage from collision with other parts s they too were ejected during the impact sequence and not simply eject it intact, with all the bins remaining in place and no damage to the support structure.

The galley structure along with many other interior pieces, are what in what we might call "pristine" condition, given the substantial forces involved under the circumstances which all but excludes both a controlled ditching (a highly unlikely scenario) and a flat spin impact with the sea.

I'm not arguing for this or that theory of course - I'm observing and thinking about what is evident and what fits the theory of a substantial mid-air breakup. Such a notion is clearly open for other interpretation providing what we see also fits and can explain both a controlled ditching for example and a galley, floating freely in the ocean. It's possible, just not probable.

ACLS65;
Re PHCs - yes there are 3 PHCs which control the probes and ports heating. The Captain's pitot is powered by the AC ESS bus; the F/O pitot is powered by the AC2 bus and the Standby pitot is powered by the AC1 bus. If the AC1 bus loses power, it can be switched to the AC ESS using controls in the cockpit.

"The PHC tramsmits one ARINC 429 low-speed data bus for fault message to the CMC."

I believe these messages are in turn picked up by the ACARS. I am assuming too that all 3 PHCs would send this kind of message should faults occur within the system or the PHC itself.

On the theory concerning water in the EE Bay from a forward Galley or lavatory overflow, this kind of a problem has occurred - I've seen it - in our case there were no problems. It may cause problems if sufficient water/fluid enters the EE bay (underneath the cockpit) but generally cabin crrew have such a "flood" under control long before much fluid escapes. I can't see water escaping on the ground, unnoticed, freezing, and then causing a problem, (if that is what the poster meant).

Regarding not having "objects from the cockpit", actually the green Oxygen bottle seen in the photographs is from the EE compartment area below the cockpit. There are no other such cylinders on the 330/340:

Last edited by PJ2; 20th Jun 2009 at 23:59.