PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 19:40
ELAC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I disagree, as leading edge is of much greater arc and joins to front of wing box. Seeing as the remnant in question appeared to have a complete airfoil (not a Nike like swoosh of the slats), this is much more likely a trailing edge flap. Perhaps it and the canoe were proximal to the recovered spoiler?

Flaps do have rods and notches - they are difficult to see even when fully extended.
Machaca,

I did in fact consider it as being a portion of the flaps initially. What made me reject that identification was the location of the notch for the actuator rod which, as your 3rd photo shows is below the leading edge of the flap, not at it as is seen in the recovered piece. Another consideration was that the flap actuator rod attachment point extrudes significantly and what is visible from the photo I saw (your second one) didn't match that.

Thanks for the first photo. This is one I hadn't seen. My thinking was that the segment was the portion of leading edge underlying the outermost slat from the forward spar forwards. At that point the section is quite a bit narrower than the slat makes the whole wing appear. But, looking at it from this other angle I'm no longer sold on that identification. Perhaps it is the aileron with a notch I've not seen during walk-arounds. If my perception of taper in this other picture is correct I think it would be too small overall to be a segment of the flaps.

Cheers,

ELAC