PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ADF aicrew - any news on Super reform?
View Single Post
Old 21st May 2002, 04:53
donpizmeov

Received 26 Likes on 10 Posts
Macchi,
Do you realy think that a reform of MSBS is going to keep people in the RAAF? Pay after the last flying pay increase is not bad now, in fact you will for the first time ever, take a cut for the first couple of years if you leave and go to QF. And this made no difference to the number of people leaving. The only thing that determines the number of pilots that leave the ADF, is how many airlines are recruiting at that time.
This has always been the case, and will continue to be so. It is good that people are trained, do a couple of tours and leave. This is how the young guys get a chance to get an early command and learn what responsability is all about.
I think as guys get a bit older, lifestyle becomes a bigger issue. The idea of moving every three years for the rest of my life, and eventually getting a ground job, and then only ground jobs as I became older, were the reasons I left. it was not about the money, as I was happy with my lot. Still I paid only the min into MSBS, and invested elsewhere with the rest, as did most of my peers.
So mate, hand on heart, I think a reform of MSBS will make naff all difference to pilot retention rates. People do not leave because of the flying (think of those QF mates that sit in the back seat watching others fly for years before becoming a FO, and finally getting a take-off or landing!), and I don't think many leave because of the money or MSBS. But I do think a lot leave because of lifestyle, and they want the power to determine what they do in their life.
I do hope flying pay does become allowed for super purposes, as I think it is unjust for it to be included for Super surcharge, but excluded from super payouts!
If you are really peeved about MSBS, find a finiancial advisor, and work out your own saving for the future plan!
Don