PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 16:51
tucumseh

Received 172 Likes on 65 Posts
Caz

Incidentally - why was Lt K doing the navigation planning when the other member of his Flight Deck Crew was a GD/Nav?

I’m not sure why you persist with the inference that Lt K conducted the flight planning by himself. Unless, of course, you do not believe his evidence, or the BoI’s acceptance of it.

To reiterate. Flight planning was conducted collectively by Lt K, Flt Lt T and Flt Lt Tapper. In response to the BoI’s questions, Lt K clearly replies “we”, not “I”.

Please share your thoughts Caz. Tell us what really concerns you about this aspect.

I think I’d be more concerned about the contradictions between what Witness 20 said about the SuperTANS / GPS. Why on earth, as he claimed, would the crew be “complacent” and “over reliant” about a system with the following limitations;

Section O – Navigation Installations

2.2 TNL 8000 GPS – GPS has not yet been declared operational (at IOC) by the US Department of Defense and accuracy is therefore not guaranteed to any level.

2.3 (a) RNS252 GPS (Ext) Position – In addition to paragraph 2.2 above, the GPS is highly susceptible to jamming of which the only crew indication is loss of GPS. ….. The “Err” figure displayed, which has conventionally been taken as a measure of GPS performance, is meaningless and so no indication of the accuracy of the GPS is available to the user.

I don’t know about anyone else, but I find this exchange astonishing. Any pilots here think they’d be complacent or over-reliant about a system which doesn’t have IOC and another which has meaningless (and hence confusing, distracting, worrying) error codes? If anyone says Yes, I’ll retract.