PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPP: open for all nationalities!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 04:14
holdmetight

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also, as I mentioned there are lot of HK pilots in whole world, if they have no passion, they wouldn't choose to study aviation and get the flying license. The flying license is a good evidence to show they have ability to become a pilot. They even don't not mind to apply cadet pilot program, start from the beginning, but finally they have been kicked out by CX with unknown reason.
They have to implore the pilot job in overseas, keep surviving in aviation.
to which i will say again,

you may be suitable to be a pilot but it does NOT mean you are suitable to become a cadet. being a cadet pilot for an airline like cathay or singapore means you are being fast-tracked into operating a jet aircraft, which is something that anyone else would only achieve after thousands of hours of experience in GA or turboprop RPT. this also means that you must be able to learn at a quicker rate and be able to produce the exact result and show the same maturity that your expatriate colleague may have taken thousands of hours to learn. that is why many people who were rejected by CX for their cadet program end up flying in GA and eventually join airlines elsewhere.
as i mentioned, the fact that you are passionate in aviation and want to be a pilot, or even have hundreds of hours of flying experience under your belt does NOT mean that you can be a successful cadet pilot. the reasons behind this have been highlighted in my second quote. does that explain why there are so many HKG locals who can't get into the cadet program, but turn out to be successful pilots in their own right later on?

You are right, all airlines want to reduce cost, but when they reduce the cost, they do concern about society. like Singapore and Etihad, they are doing an international cadet program, but please check their requirements, those international program are different requirement to expat. They don't open for expat in whole year. and at least they have made some others rules to protect their local labour. But CX, they promote to expat with all the same with local requirement, would you think they protect locals?
you may be disappointed in CX, but the cost-cutting/profit maximisation game for every single airline around the world is the same. please don't think SQ or EY or any other airline won't come up with measures that benefits the company but "hurts" employees at the same time. like i said before, at the end of the day, it isn't about how many people you can help or charm, but the amount of cash that enters/stays in your pocket that decides which airlines survive and which do not. social responsibility is something that needs to be looked at, i agree, but i certainly don't think it is an ideal that should be followed blindly without considering the times. at the end of the day, if cost-cutting is not looked at and implemented, EVERYONE suffers - including the very locals you speak of. i don't particularly support CX or oppose CX for what they do - this is the game that is being played, and either you are in with it, or you are out.

Yes, it definitely cut cost with local contract in long term. But what i read from yours post, you said if you meet the standard, you get in CX. CX will open a slot for you. Would you think training is free or very little cost? To trained a cadet become SO, it would cost more than million. In your concept 100 people met the standard, CX will train all 100 cadet. How would it cost? 100 of million. CX is cutting cost, would you think this is the conflict? If there is no competition, why do CX do the many stages of interview with you?
in an ideal world where north korea and the US get along, where diamonds can be grown and beer rains from the sky, yes. if suddenly 100 locals turned up, and they all happened to meet the bar that CX has set for recruiting cadets, then for one i am sure CX would try to offer them all training courses. but in reality, does this rosy picture exist?

in terms of numbers, unfortunately no there aren't 100 people every year who meet the bar, certainly not from within HKG anyway. i believe this has been illustrated in the past where cadet populations have always been rather small. but in terms of them taking people they think have potential, certainly. if you meet the high standards they mete out, then you're in. why do you think they have so many stages of tests and interviews? it isn't about giving them the chance to watch applicants slug it out against each other and see who wins, it is to see who can jump the highest and cross the vault bar at the top. does that make sense? so if everyone jumps and crosses the bar, then everyone gets in. unfortunately the number of "everyone" isn't enough to cover the usual number of direct-entry pilots recruited every year, so CX have to look outside of HKG for cadet pilots.

So you think CX can bake as more cake as for all those wannabes? do you think training is free or very less cost to do? 1 pilot to be trained for SO will spend company a more than million. in your concept, 100 people has met the standard, CX should take all the people and spend 100 of million, but there are cutting cost at the same time. would you think this is the conflict?
you keep looking at the figure "100 million". i assure you this cost is a trivial when compared to what expenditures cathay uses on renumeration to all its expatriate pilots. paying "100 million" upfront is definitely a cost saving measure, given the significant difference in expat and locan renumeration in the company.

I would think you guy are possibly not a local, even you haven't had any flight training at all. You won't know how much the training cost. You won't understand the expectation of HK wannabes themselves and their family when they invested in the training. You won't know much about aviation industry. For you guy, it is advantage as you can have free training with good pay. You can go back your home country with freeman after you get what you want. But for HK wannabes, how sad the story is because of some 1 taking their opportunity?
tell you the truth, i am very much a local. i was born in HKG and did all my primary and secondary education in local schools. i can read, speak, write cantonese just as well as any average person in the street. i have had flight training, in fact i am doing some of my own in my spare time away from the university. i am very well aware of the costs of flying training towards a CPL or possibly ATPL-standard. trust me, while i cannot say know a lot about the aviation industry, i believe i know enough about it when i write all these posts on this thread.

i certainly don't agree that for expatriate cadets, this is an opportunity for "free training and good pay". well, certainly not the latter. with no other forms of renumeration outside their basic pay package, these expats are on their own in HKG. they have to pay for their own housing, tax, bills... everything out of their own pocket. in the end, they don't take home a lot of money, and that is only exacerbated when they exchange what remains of their hard-earned cash into the currency they use at home.

as a local i would very much like to see more local pilots flying the line for CX. i guess utopia in this sense might mean being able to hear the pilot make PAs in cantonese everytime we fly on a CX flight. i also guess it might mean aircrews being able to banter in Cantonese regularly during the cruise phases of flight. but given the unique circumstances of HKG, i think this will be harder/take longer to achieve than what we already see in countries like Singapore, Japan or Taiwan.

Last edited by holdmetight; 20th Jun 2009 at 04:54.