PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 20th Jun 2009, 01:47
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
deSitter;
The HS itself is too big I think for the debris to be part of that.
Yes, agree.
Will Fraser;
What we might be looking at is the outermost and underside tip of the port elevator. Unfamiliar with that area of this a/c,
If pressed, I'd say aileron but who knows at this moment? It's about an oxygen-bottle's width - I think the elevator is much larger but when you're walking around it, everything is large! , however, in planform view in the AOM, the elevators are at least 3x the size of the ailerons.

What we can say is, it IS a flight control surface, (but most certainly not part of the horizontal stab box, which is metal, not honeycomb structure).

We have also in the photographs thanks to DorianB, a clear photo of two separate rows of overhead panels which would be situated above the passenger seats, containing the reading lights, seatbelt/no smoke signs and, as can be seen, the O2 masks.

Not sure where the First Aid container (flat door, pull-up latch box-like structure) is located but it would be in/near the F/A's area of work. The overhead bin indicating a green cross is where the First Aid/Doctor's kit/Defibrilator or possibly an extra oxygen bottle for F/As to walk about the cabin with, is stored.

Someone here made the observation that the elongated, more robust-looking structure at the bottom right in the photo of the collected wreckage looks like a "canoe", (which covers the flap tracks). I think that's possible. I am left wondering if the door which is part of the structure is the RAT door. I've seen it deployed on the ground, (during troubleshooting, we deployed it on the request of maintenance) and that's what the door looks like but obviously I have to qualify that - the piece is buried beneath a lot of other wreckage.

I don't think the items that look like ULD's, are in fact ULDs. ULDs are a thing honeycomb structure and covered with an aluminum surface. These appear to be almost as thick as the bulkhead structures. They're not big enough, either. Part of the cabin - not sure where?

Something to keep in the back of our minds is, we don't know in which order these photographs are and so cannot attribute their time stamp with the order of discovery at sea. We already know that the galley was found on June 07th but the photos we see of it here didnt' show up until the 17th.

lomapaseo;

Agree - nothing new but a confirmation of an in-flight breakup or, (in my view far less likely), a "low speed ditching" as opposed to a high-speed impact with the water. Due increased time during "descent" and assuming messages were generated after 02:14:59 and communications were working, we'd possibly have more ACARS messages, for one thing.

At what altitude and in what sequence the breakup occurred, we do not know.

Last edited by PJ2; 20th Jun 2009 at 03:41.