PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Greedy BA pilots want more dosh
View Single Post
Old 20th Jul 2001, 21:21
Pontius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Hello Peeps, sorry for the lack of replies but it's that old wolf, door and keeping the former from the latter syndrome.

Well, I feel quite embarrassed by this 'praise' for my post....maybe I should go into management. Okay, only kidding.

But to address a couple of points:

Gas Path,

I assume form your message you're an engineer (a much appreciated 'race'in my mind). I would never deliberately try and foil another group's attempts to improve their pay and conditions and I hope I made it clear when I said, that whatever you guys can get, then good luck to you all. What I also said, though, is that this is a fight for the pilots and all else smacks of herring rouge. I recognise that our terms and conditions can and do affect other departments within the airline, but we are trying to get away from this whole, stupid, corporate rate thing. BA would much rather we didn't because that would mean paying us according to our worth outside the airline and that would mean a pay rise...shock, horror. This is ALL we are going for; our Market Rate.

You comment that it is the tech crew that are first to leg it off a u/s aircraft. That may be the case sometimes, but it may be that they've been given another flight to crew or have to go and prep the next aircraft etc. I'm not, for one moment, saying we are all perfect all the time, but we do try and our customer service far exceeds the levels put about by 'button pushing' accusers such as the Guvnor. We all recognise the hugely important role we have to play in the arena of making dosh for the company and most of us try very hard to do so. I hate people talking about the 'Big Picture' stuff, but maybe when those pilots do rush off there is a very good reason...and, believe me, it's not normally related to going home.

Invalid Delete,

Been there and done that, so I do know what you're talking about. Some of us do have experiences from outside BA, but I know that spoils the 'Nigel' image, so I won't dwell on it.

I think the Old Lady story is quite a good example of customer service. Yeah, all the pax knew there was a delay and most of them could figure out the implications of that delay, but could the ol' dear? I think treating a passenger as an individual and going to explain to her what will happen when she arrives at LHR/LGW and who to speak to in Flight Connections an excellent response to a delay and far from embarassing (I've been in the cabin too many times and survived the near lynchings to get too upset by some smiling people).

I have to admit (and this is without knowing whether the Captain was otherwise disposed) I would have done it myself rather than sending my RHS colleague. I'm sure there are good reasons for the Captain not doing so.

And finally (as they say). It's good to see that you would have been proactive in trying to improve your slot, but do you not think the guys were trying to do likewise? We don't have the aircraft mobile phones (a Godsend when we got them in my charter outfit) but we do have the luxury of a 'proper' operations base at most of our destinations. We do the same things as you do with Flow Control, but via the company freq..and you know how much better those people in ops can deal with those situations (still doesn't beat the bottle of whisky to ATC in Rhodes though. ).

Alright, I've rambled on for long enough, again. At the end of the day, we are not being greedy, we just want similar renumeration to the equivalent airlines in Europe, who are doing exactly the same job. It truly is a shame that we are shackled with seniority numbers et al, because deregulated movement around Europe could certainly force BA to sit up and take note. I, for one, though am not going to allow the arrogant managers in BA to think they have me trapped. I'll do everything I can to help BALPA negotiate a decent deal and if they don't, then I'm off to warmer climes...with better Em..rates.

Toodle oo,

Pontius