PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Runway incursion at BOS
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2009, 16:27
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
during a period of some airport construction, the Concorde was scheduled to arrive in BOS on a demo flight. A colleague and I drove up to a construction gate, with no credentials other than an impressive array of cameras; the guard waved us through with the caveat "Don't drive on the runway".
Reminds me of the time that I got lost among the runways at JFK in my car.

I was trying to make my way out to a stranded B747. I was trying to follow a pickup truck ahead of me. For the life of me I couldn't tell the difference between the taxiways and the runways, both of which were occupied by moving large aircraft. A couple of times I just came to a stop and tried to sort it out, meanwhile the truck that I was following moved off in the distance turning at intersections that I couldn't see at ground level.

Then there was the time that the guard at another airport's gate just pointed to the ramp area at twilight. I got there Ok but when I tried to leave later that night to find the gate that I came in I couldn't see where to drive and ended up face to face with a taxing B727. I pulled off the taxiway into a bunch of parked planes and just huddled under a wing figuring I couldn't get hit there. I finally got out of my car an walked out to see where the concrete went to find the gate.

To me driving on a strange airport is hairraising when your eye level is so low and you have no idea of the differences between taxiways and runways until you are on one.