PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Helicopter crash off the coast of Newfoundland - 18 aboard, March 2009
Old 19th Jun 2009, 16:18
Geoffersincornwall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tail Rotor Malfunctions and training in the sim

I agree with Jim et al, tail rotor drive shaft failure is available as a malfunction in our sim but I always precede its use with a little speech that highlights the dangers of any 'lessons learnt' by developing techniques in the box.

I find it disturbing to hear folk leave us saying "well at least we now know how to handle a tail rotor failure". The reality is that simple drive failures are only 33% of all tail rotor failures (CAA data) and that complicated failures such as loss of blades, entire unit or entire gearbox can make the handling solution very different.

One thing it may teach us is that if you lose directional control you had better make your mind up pretty damn quick about reacting to the situation. The sim does at least allow you to exercise that thought process.

If the analysis is correct it seems the crew were reacting appropriately but as others have said, why no 'Land Immediately'.

Don't suppose there will be much dallying in the future.

G.