PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATPL/CPL Training: Ground School topics
View Single Post
Old 20th May 2002, 22:02
pilotwolf

Helicopter Pilots Get It Up Quicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whilst being biased towards USA training, (although with a dual FAA/CAA-JAR instructor who teaches in both countries) I have to say it is definately the better. Its a lot more hands on and about pratical flying. It is also a know fact that a relaxed student learns better - I would find it difficult to relax in any of the UK teaching enviropments where CFI are in uniform with varing numbers of bars on their epaulettes.

I have flown with PPLs trained on both sides of the pond and I know who I'd rather have fly my family.

EG: A newly qualified PPL, with 65 hrs in which he just managed to scrap through the GFT(Checkride), didn't know have to workout a weight and balance nor did he know what purpose the Density Altitude chart was for! Guess you don't really need that page here in the UK!

Another UK trained PPL with a couple of hundred hours - theory OK, hands on flying a bit shaky, radio procedure even by USA standards was awful.

Yet another PPL with fast approaching 1000hrs failed the CPL oral exam miserably....

And I find it rather worrying that with the UK weather causing difficulties with continous training on part time basis how much knowledge is retained, as said Nick Lappos above when training is interrupted.

On a similar thread how much of the CFI knowledge base goes rusty through lack of student turnover? And yes I know a lot of CFIs, especially in the USA, are lowtime anyway but which side of the pond is their knowledge base going to improve and be maintained the best.

Also I would be more conserned that the UK schools are selling PPLs when training costs here are that much higher. A few extra hours training in the states hurts the bank balance a lot less.

Whirly as for no radio or radar you do live in Wales after all...