PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPP: open for all nationalities!
View Single Post
Old 19th Jun 2009, 07:41
misu11

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the contribution for these expatriate cadets is that they are willing to fly these aircraft for a minimal wage.
i am sure that if CX wanted people to pay for (part of) their own training then a lot less hong kong locals would show up. given the price of flight training (flying costs, equipment, accomodation, medicals, visas, you name it) the average hong kong family would not be able to afford such an expensive endeavour. which is why the cathay cadetship is so attractive to people in the first place.

CX is a company, they can do the whatever to control their budget. even they are swire group from UK, they still have lot of share holder from HK or China, and they are doing business in Hong Kong. They should take responability to Hong Kong.

What I would point out that CX is wearing a fake mask that CX is supporting HK. As I mentioned, majority airlines are only hiring their local labour. even if airline hire the expat, they would give higher requirment to expat. but CX is not really. they start to employ expat for cadet with same qualification and same priority. Those expats is robbing local worker opporunities.

How many people apply CX cadet program each year? and How many would CX take? Do you think CX has a lot of slot for people to join CX cadet program?
They always mention they cannot get suitable person to cadet in HK, but why do other airline get? such as SQ. Do HK applicants be such fool that unable to become a cadet? However, lot of HK applicants are holding flying license, working airline or GA in overseas. They have a lot of flying experiences. Would they not meet the standard of cadet program? What would the destination of cadet program? It's a pilot. they are repeating their training again.

Now they would take this program to cut the cost, so why don't they give opporunity to those HK applicant to be special cadetship or DESO. As long as they can pass the check ride, they meet the standard, and CX can pay less training for those people. but They didn't.

CX is the a very sizeable company in hongkong, and their decision will affect the Hong Kong labour market.
I won't think there are lack of people who has passion in aviation and can affort the training. As I mentioned, there are a lot of people who pay the their training themselves, and now they are flying in somewhere else.
As you said, If you meet the standard, you can get in. So how come they still are flying in overseas? because CX has no heart to give opporunity to HK labours.

Finally, I am very disappointed to CX international cadet program. and I am very disappointed with government that they do not support HK aviation. They are only say, but they are no action at all. I would say good luck for HK wannabes.