PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on reducing risk of mid-airs.
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2009, 22:24
bad bear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
li-ion excuse?!!!

englishal, old chap, what are you trying to say? In an airliner there are crew trained and equiped to deal with low capacity Li-ion battery fires and they have enough space to deal with the issue. In my glider I cannot reach the batteries and would not have an ice bucket to immerse the batteries in if I could reach them. Mobile phone, gps etc can be jetisoned if necissary through the DV window.
Are you seriously suggesting that I fit a large capacity Li-ion battery in my sailplane next to a O2 bottle and my parachute to satisfy some ludites desire to provide enough power for a WW2 based relic that should be consigned to the history books? i.e. a transponder
No chance ! EASA have approved only 2 types of battery and I am not in the game of taking random risks like that. ADSB is the way forward and much lower power drain. Even the CAA know that new technologies will overtake the mode s malarky by 2012 or shortly after.

Now back to the point. In class "G" look out of the window and dont expect technology or a controller to keep you safe and if you see a cumulus cloud , go round it rather than through it in case someone else is already in it, then you have a sporting chance of staying safe.
b b