PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2009, 19:49
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo;
I suspect that the cargo area was opened before it hit the water and other bins were probably part of the debris field. Do we recognize other bin pieces in the other photos?
With one exception, I don't recognize other bin pieces but in the collection of parts on display there is/are:

- One exception re "bin" - what is probably a section of the F/A crew module marked "FWD"; I suspect it comes from the forward, left-hand side.

- Several overhead bin covers

- a longish, narrow section with two "porthole-ish" holes at the ends - I suspect this is part of a cabin bulkhead structure (from which the curtains hang, etc, likely between J-class and Y)

- the structure with the video screen is one of the bulkheads in Y-class which either divides the Y cabin or is part of the J-class/Y-class divider.

- the flourescent box is either the doctor's kit or the defibrilator. I note that it is essentially unscathed and still closed, (not broken open in the accident sequence). This kit was kept near the front of the aircraft but we do not know the location of this kit on the AF330's.

- there are a great many other smaller parts, all of which seem to be the same honeycomb structure - no surprise, as such structures float...

From the available information (photos), these large, intact parts exhibit fracture, tear or blunt force patterns (including being struck by other parts as described earlier) but not large deformation patterns or a shattering into small fragments normally seen in a high-speed impact with water.

What the rest of the structure may exhibit is not yet known.

The information supplied by Great Bear is encouraging in the sense that loss of the CVR/DFDR signals may not end prospects for recovery. This still recognizes the significant task at hand and when/if discovered, the difficulties in recovery.

BTW, the galley, which photos showed up on the 17th with the skin-diver, was actually found on the 7th, as indicated by this PPRuNe posting:

Galley photo June 07

ClippedCub;
Thanks for your descriptions - I apologize for leaving my question and post open to interpretation regarding the suggestion of a "flat" spin - it wasn't yours I know but it has been made. I understand the dynamics of swept-wing flight and what happens in the stall/spiral/spin, (dynamic chord on the outside wing etc) but I wanted to understand how, and what the potential was, for a transport aircraft to enter/sustain a flat spin, where the nose is level or higher than the tail, given "normal" dynamics. In other words, with structural damage as per the BOAC 707 over Fuji which was a falling brick, all bets are off. To me, a steep nose-down attitude reaching very high speeds very swiftly and requiring great altitude to recover from, is far more likely an outcome from any non-recovered stall.

I'm using Davies' book but if you can point to other literature, I would be grateful.

PJ2