PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2009, 13:27
DC-ATE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
re. Post # 1873, P.94 -
by - EGMA -
Re the comments on weather radar. It shouldn't be forgotten that radar cannot see through cells.
It may be that AF avoided a cell only to find a massive cell hiding behind it.
WHAT is going on here?! Someone posted a very good explaination of aircraft radar in response to the above post. Because of that, I did not respond to save an 'extra' post being displayed. There were NO bad remarks or speculation in that response. It was deleted either by mistake or intentionally. Wish I would've saved it along with the persons name. Anyway.....my response was going to be something like:

I do not know what weather radar systems are in use today in 'modern' aircraft, but we had C-Band radar that COULD "see" through storm cells with NO problem, thereby enabling one to navigate through and around storms.....IF one chose to fly that way. I personally used the weather radar for its intended purpose. And that was to AVOID the weather, not find your way through it.

We do NOT know what the situation was with AF447 and their use of their weather radar at this time, and perhaps will never know. While it appears as though they were too close to the 'bad' weather, we really do not know.

I do not understand why someone is allowed to make a remark on here that is false and have their post remain only to have the rebuttal post deleted.