PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Airbus becoming too "Pilot-Proofed"
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2009, 09:58
sprucegoose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In hindsight my view is that this approach to training also contributes to latent resistance to take manual control of the aircraft unless told to do so by the system …. too much emphasis on automation training from the start, and not nearly enough on turning it into a normal airplane to use one’s skills.
Perhaps more raw data in the Sim is an idea, maybe a visual circuit, manual thrust, and no F/D for example. Only takes a few minutes and at least it's a start.
I very much agree. Many moons ago when we transitioned from the very analogue, very hands on B737-200 to the slightly less analogue and quite a bit more automated B737-400 we commenced line training by turning off the automatics and taking the pilot back to a comfortable starting position. No auto throttle, no flight director and no autopilot other than heading select, V/L and Alt hold from memory. Over a few days we added the automation (they had it all in the sim for the endorcement) until they could fly the automatics AND know the basic performance characteristics of a raw data -400. We seldom saw any problems with the rigours of ATC and constant profile alterations. Today the new NG pilots seem all at sea when something non standard occurs with ATC or pilot errors. All the flying is taught on the automatics and raw data is discouraged. Tried a no auto throttle takeoff with an FO recently who subsequently had no idea how to find climb thrust on the
FMC, Performance in Flight section of the QRH or the Flight Planning and Performance manual.

I say pilots should know the "stick and rudder" flying charateristics on any level of automated aircraft before they hand over to the black boxes.