PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PNG Ples Bilong Tok Tok
View Single Post
Old 18th Jun 2009, 09:25
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sir James "Jabba" Update

Apinun olgeta, I don't want to be the bearer of bad news but I did tell everyone I would keep you informed. Dr Jim's days are now numbered, sadly in the singular. He has not been eating normally for some time and now has stopped drinking which will mean some parts of his body will stop functioning. By choice he is staying at home where he is comfortable. In hospital they could delay the inevitable by putting him on the drip or whatever they do there, but Jim wants to let happen what will happen with no false extension. He was too ill to go anywhere yesterday, let alone the Bowls Club for a beer,so Sudsie and I went to his home this afternoon armed with a six pack, but for what I will bet would be a first for our good doctor, he declined the offer of an ale.

I have been down this path with our good mate Mike Raes who passed away in 1995. Jim now has that same vacant look, very gaunt - he weighs less than 40kg. He has forgotten most things but he still keeps the car keys and wallet in his pocket as though he is going somewhere. There is still something ticking over. He is going back to the chemo place on Monday, but by his own admission, that is not working. Nora says it is only for assessment and I would expect this treatment will discontinue. Nora is coping as well as you could expect, but it is a very sad situation for her and I am not sure that she has enough of a support mechanism of her own in place to help her through this period. Jim and Nora have lived a fairly isolated existence in recent years.

Jim has acknowledged the support he has received from his many friends, and whilst he cannot thank you himself he knows that I will. My next message I fear, will be the one I don't want to send but we cannot change life's course. The Good Doctor is not stressed with pain and seems comfortable with his lot. We can only hope Jim finds a better place to be, as soon as God's will prevails.

Regards to all, robbo

Robert Robertson
77 Agnew Street
Norman Park
Qld 4170
Phone/fax 07 3899 2481
Mobile 0412 029 416

Last edited by Sharpie; 29th Jun 2009 at 12:54.