PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Chinook - Still Hitting Back 3 (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 23:09
walter kennedy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flipster
FISHING BOATS
Some years ago when I was there, I asked about the trawlers: a senior police officer who is also a local told me that the majority of them were Irish and (even then) it would have been difficult to identify who had been there and I add that the described conditions would have been so common that the fisherman would not have noticed anything odd about the weather so it would be highly unlikely that any of them would be able to contribute anything more than the yachtsman.
I would like to restate that, in those conditions which to me are so common there at that time of year, at that time of day, I do not believe they were in IMC until the last seconds when they would have entered the ground hugging mist or had pulled up enough (they had started to do so according to Boeing's analysis) when aware of the ground (the upslope mist is typically erratic and patchy with the odd "suckers' gap") to enter the orographic cloud - they would have been flying into a vertical wedge of grey - their whole problem was not being able to judge distance from that mist covered ground while from some other reference thinking they had further to go.

Last edited by walter kennedy; 17th Jun 2009 at 23:13. Reason: addition