PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cardiff Academy of Aviation
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 21:50
Michael Birbeck

CWFC - No training base or club at Cardiff Wales?

In a moment of nostalgia I did a search for Cardfiff Wales Flying Club where I had many a good time flying a motley collection of Traumahawks and PA28's and garnering a rating or two in the mid 90's (and flying with some really nice people) only to find out that I am half a decade out and the club went bust in 2004 only to be replaced by a flying academy that has just recently gone bust.

What is up with this airport?

It seemed to be an ideal place for ab initio through to ATPL training, giving the student the experience of flying at an international airport (Class D airspace) with ILS, NDB and the unrestricted non TMA constrained flying over some really stunning country out to the north and west (I remember mixing it with people getting Airbus type ratings etc. and being pleasantly surprised that with a friendly and efficient air traffic control set up that it all seemed to work, no matter what you were flying).

Rumour has it that the international part of the airport (north side) is also feeling the down turn.

What a waste! Surely there must be mileage in looking to build a training organisation on the South Side?

Last edited by Michael Birbeck; 17th Jun 2009 at 22:16.