PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Thoughts on reducing risk of mid-airs.
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 21:38
RansS9

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In defence of the MK 1 Eyeball:

--It is not the MK 1....... I make no apologises to the Creationists amongst you.

--they are incredibly powerful versatile visual sensors; and the good news is that if you are a pilot and reading this you are very lucky to have a pair in good condition (possibly only needing refractive assistance).

--they are FREE. When you won Life's Lottery and found your consciousness awakening in the body of a human being you didn't have one but two at NO COST.

-- yes like all equipment they have shortcomings which have to be appreciated.

With respect to the shortcomings these mainly centre around the difficulty in detecting threats with no relative motion ,as most are aware. Back to my query concerning the use of lights / beacons call them what you will. If I can stand at the threshold of Birmingham Airport (don't ask) staring back up the approach; see an aircraft on its 30 degreee intercept (rel motion); not see it on the glideslope (constant bearing no rel motion); then see it on the glideslope as soon as it switches on its' landing lights. That's 10nm + and these lights are constant not flashing which I suspect would grab the eyes attention even more.

Okay so the lights are a "billion candelera" but surely if is possible to engineer a Light Aviation sensible equivalent........or maybe not?

TIM