PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF447
Thread: AF447
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2009, 19:09
PJ2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lomapaseo;
I am using the word "shrapnel" here to describe smaller pieces hitting larger pieces in a break-up sequence but am not implying or conveying anything more than that.

The word is perhaps the wrong one to use in this case as it may imply an "explosion", which is not what I am trying to convey.

Rather than post photos I can refer you to the F/A seating structure, the spoiler panel, the structure with the video screen attached, for example, where there are both fractures and marks which may be the result of that structure being struck by other parts.

If hypothetically we found blue or red paint on some parts, we could surmise that they had come into contact with the fin, for example. That's the kind of thinking. I am not saying this is the case with anything - I'm just using this as an example.

Whether such accident investigation analysis would yield meaningful information is wholly uncertain given the tiny collection of structure available but it is a technique used. I am not an AI but am familiar with some of the processes.